After heavy rumors circulating about Activision Blizzard working on a new mobile entry to the Diablo series it has been announced that Diablo III will grace the Nintendo Switch hybrid handheld / console. The jury is still out on whether or not this is a lead-up to something more, but the Switch version of Diablo III has been confirmed today as the Eternal Collection and will include the base game, all expansion packs, updates, and some exclusive Switch bonus items when it launches some time later this year, 2018.
It will be interesting to see Zelda content in the hack-n-slash Action RPG series traditionally associated with very dark and evil characters. As far as quality goes, Activision Blizzard does not seem concerned about the limited specs of the Switch effecting a game that was originally designed for PC and then ported to consoles. Mike Morhaime (CEO and Co-Founder of Blizzard Entertainment) even went as far as to say that “The Eternal Collection is the definitive version of Diablo III,” which certainly exudes confidence.
It should be equally interesting to see how the game controls on a JoyCon. In addition to changing up how the user interface will work on the system, players are now able to use one Switch for four player co-operative gameplay. This will require extra JoyCons and presents a design challenge which Blizzard has again confidently surpassed. If all goes according to plan, those extreme fans of Nintendo Switch who want every game ever made to land on the platform eventually should have a lot to celebrate for when this one drops!
Some other notable features highlighted in today’s press release:
- Four player co-op on a single Nintendo Switch screen
- Four player co-op through local wireless connection
- Four player co-op through Nintendo Switch Online service
- Controls redesigned for a custom Switch experience
- Reaper of Souls Expansion with Crusader Class, Adventure Mode, Nephalem Rift Dungeons
- Rise of the Necromancer with Necromancer Class
- The Legend of Ganondorf Cosmetic Armor Set (inspired by The Legend of Zelda)
- Digital version will be released worldwide on Nintendo eShop
- Showcase for Diablo III: Eternal Collection will be presented at industry press event Gamescom 2018 in Germany with fans able to play it as well at Fan Expo in Toronto and PAX West in Seattle.